Growing Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum L) is not an easy task, as it is a bit tricky to get cilantro to grow in some types of soil. That’s why in this article we will explain how to grow cilantro in water. You will see that growing cilantro in water is the best way to grow and regrow cilantro easily. Also, I include a few tips for harvesting cilantro successfully.
Growing Cilantro in Water
To grow cilantro from seeds, there are two methods to do it: in the soil and in water. Below, we are going to tell you step by step how to grow cilantro in water. Also, if you are interested in growing cilantro in the soil, we recommend our article about how to grow cilantro from seeds.
You will need the following materials to grow cilantro in water:
- Strainer or colander.
- Paper napkins.
- Cilantro seeds (Order here).
- Beautiful -- Full color packet of Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum), one of the most popular culinary herbs. A minimum of 2 g per packet. Give the gift of a kitchen herb garden to your gardening friend.
- Indoor or Outdoor; Carefully selected variety that can easily be grown indoors in your kitchen or outdoors in the garden. Cilantro is a quick growing annual that you can begin to harvest in as few as three weeks.
- Safe Seed -- Sow Right Seeds has taken the Safe Seed Pledge and sells only Non-GMO heirloom seeds that are safe for you and your family.
How to Grow Cilantro in Water Step by Step
So to the recurring question from our readers, can cilantro grow in water? Yes, it is possible to grow cilantro in water, easily at home. The simple method that we propose in this article, would be something like a home hydroponic cilantro gardening, easy to have in your kitchen, without anything sophisticated, without hydroponic pumps, a very homemade method.
Once we have all the necessary materials to grow cilantro in water, we will follow these steps:
- The first thing we must do to grow cilantro in water is to get quality seeds. For that, we recommend using organic seeds.
- Place one or two paper napkins inside the colander.
- Now add the cilantro seeds to the paper napkin.
- To grow coriander in water, place another paper napkin over the seeds and moisten it.
- Fill half of the container with water, and then place the colander with the cilantro seeds inside the container.
- To grow cilantro in the water, we will need light, so we will place that container in an area where it receives light for an amount of 4 to 6 hours a day.
In a few days, you will see how cilantro begins to grow in water. After a month, you will have beautiful cilantro plants. As an extra tip, I recommend changing the cilantro water every week. Besides paper napkins, you can use cotton to grow Coriander in water.
This method is based on hydroponic cultivation, if you are interested in knowing more about hydroponic cultivation we recommend our article about How to Build a Hydroponic Garden Step by step.
When to Grow Cilantro in Water?
When to Grow Cilantro in Water? We can grow cilantro in water all year round as long as our water container is indoors.
If we want to grow cilantro in water in the garden, we must make sure that the frost has passed, so the best time to grow cilantro will be in spring and summer.
How Tall Does Coriander Grow?
How Tall Does Coriander Grow? Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum L.) is a widely consumed annual aromatic plant of the Apiaceae family, which grows between 30 and 70 cm in height.
Does Cilantro Regrow After Cutting?
Does Cilantro Regrow After Cutting? Yes, cilantro regrows. Cilantro always grows back after cutting it.
How to regrow cilantro? To regrow cilantro you must cut a little of a part of the plant, on the top and let it grow.
The ideal is to have several cilantro plants to give them time to regrow after cutting them.
Can Coriander Grow in Shade?
Can Coriander Grow in Shade? Put the pot or container of cilantro in a sunny spot. Cilantro needs a lot of sun to grow, so put it in a window so that it enjoys as much sunlight as possible.
Most Common Problems When Growing Cilantro in Water
Growing cilantro in water is not difficult, but it has certain requirements:
- Cilantro needs at least 4 hours of direct light and a warm temperature, which is not a difficulty but a very important factor to consider. Be careful with temperatures, as it is extremely sensitive to temperature drops and frosts. Solution: Place the container where you are growing cilantro in water in a warm area of your house or garden. Try not to let the water get too cold.
- Coriander flowers too quickly. Cilantro starts to flower when it doesn’t find the conditions entirely favorable, and at that point, it no longer tastes good for consumption. Solution: Stagger the sowing (sow a couple of seeds every two or three weeks) so we will always have a couple of cilantro plants.
Can You Grow Cilantro in Water
Can You Grow Cilantro in Water? Of course, you can grow cilantro in water, as explained in the previous paragraphs. To grow cilantro or coriander in the water, you should use quality seeds and use a strainer to place the coriander seeds in the water.
Can Coriander Grow in Water
Can Coriander Grow in Water? Many people ask us if coriander can grow in water, and the answer is YES!!!. Coriander is the same as cilantro, it is the same plant but can be said in different ways. The scientific name for Cilantro or Coriander is Coriandrum sativum.
The word “Cilantro” is Spanish for “Coriander” although it is known by both names all over the world.
Benefits Of Cilantro
Benefits Of Cilantro. Cilantro is a plant that has many benefits, and they are the following:
- Cilantro content in different essential oils, mainly linalool, gives it antispasmodic and antihistamine properties.
- Contains vitamins A, K, C, and B2.
- The high content of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium.
- Cilantro is very beneficial for the digestive system since it stimulates the appetite and favors the secretion of gastric juices, helps to eliminate gases and to facilitate digestion.
- Coriander helps in the reduction of cholesterol.
Check out this video and see How to Grow Cilantro in Water and Regrow Cilantro