Do you know what a hydroponic garden is? Also known as hydroponic cultivation or hydroponics, it is a system that is increasingly used around the world, both at the level of large productions and at home. It is a different way of growing than what we are used to today, although it was actually used in ancient times. What makes it different and, as its name indicates, is that water is used as a base for crops instead of soil. Learn all about How to Build a Hydroponic Garden in this post.
What is a Hydroponic Garden?
Hydroponic cultivation systems are a set of techniques that do not use the soil or land to cultivate and care for the plantations, but rather in this soil-less agriculture water is used. Among the characteristics of hydroponic cultivation, we find that it substitutes the land or soil for the use of water, which can be done with very simple structures and complicating them according to the needs and that it works perfectly with a great variety of organic crops, but above all with herbaceous type plants and many types of garden plants.
It allows plants to be grown both indoors and outdoors, such as in greenhouses, rooftops, terraces, gardens, or on land where the soil is not fertile.
If one wants to build a simple hydroponic garden to get started in the field, we recommend this one (Order it here).
- 12 pods and 21 inches growing height: The height of the lighting part of the hydroponics growing system can be adjusted for veggies at different growth stages, helping veggies absorb energy from LED lights and promoting growth. Control panel tells you when to add plant food solution.
- Quiet Hydroponic Growing System: This indoor garden germination kit is designed with a water circulation system, increasing the oxygen in water. Press the pump to go into a cycle of 30 mins on/30 mins off with super low noise. Growing in the nutrient water faster than soil. You have total control over the weather all year round.
- Veg & "Flower & Fruit" Modes: For vegetables, choose "Veg" Mode which contains all the light. For flowers and fruits, choose "Flower" Mode which contains more red light. We have designed smart modes with different red and blue spectrum and time.
Benefits and Advantages of Doing a Home Hydroponic Cultivation
There are several benefits and advantages that we can find in hydroponics, which should be known to know what we can get and why it is considered part of an organic farming system, provided that good use is made of water. Thus, the main advantages and benefits of hydroponic cultivation are
1- It is not necessary to have much space, so it can be used at home and it is more economical because the land yields more and the cultivation is intensive.
2- It does not depend so much on the climatic conditions. This allows more variety of crops throughout the year.
3- It helps the land to rest and recovers from previous crops, gaining fertility again, so it is good to combine it with more traditional systems.
4- It is perfect for areas where the land is worn out, infertile or there are few areas suitable for agriculture.
5- It is more difficult for the plants to have pests, diseases, and, also, there can be no weeds.
6- A constant adequate humidity is ensured.
7- The risk of waterlogging of the roots is reduced since the water is graded while allowing the whole area of the roots to be irrigated evenly.
8- The quality and quantity of production are greatly improved.
9- Water waste is avoided since it is rationed and reused.
How to Start a Hydroponic Garden Step by Step
If after knowing what it is and all its benefits you want to start implementing this method in your home, you will have to get a home hydroponic kit as they sell them in stores specialized in gardening and agriculture, or collect the materials you can reuse to create it.
Below, we explain how to do a home hydroponic cultivation step by step, and, for example, you can do a home hydroponic cultivation of tomatoes, lettuce, radishes, basil, and many other plants and herbs.
Material for Making a Home Hydroponics
1- Dark container or box, such as a box or bowl, that is between 20 cm and 30 cm deep. It should be dark or opaque so that the sunlight does not affect the roots too much.
2- Air pump, that is, a pump to produce oxygenation in the water, like the one used in aquariums. The oxygenation will produce will help the roots to feed better and grow the plant, as well as prevent water pollution.
3- Substrate with the right texture and nutrients for the crop you have chosen. In the store, the specialist will be able to guide you better in your choice.
4- Nutritional solution, either hydroponic solutions found in specialized stores or homemade if we know what nutrients the plant needs.
5- Seeds, sprouts, or germinated seeds of the plants you have chosen.
6- Wooden board or the lid of the container or box itself, so that it acts as a lid that will hold the crops while allowing them to reach the water and protect both the roots and the water itself.
7- Plastic or rubber stopper, it cannot be made of cork because it will be in contact with the water.
How to Build a Hydroponic Garden
1- Use germinated seeds, sprouts, or cuttings if you are going to use new seeds that you have acquired new, you will have to germinate them first.
2- Make a hole at the bottom of the box or container you have chosen. This hole is what you will use to drain the container to make the changes of water, so it will put the cap when it is necessary to retain it.
3- Fill the box with water without it reaching the top.
4- Make holes in the lid, with the help of a small saw or a drill. The holes should be the same size.
5- Place the roots of the germinated seeds through the holes, taking care not to damage them, and allow them to be well covered in the water, but the stem to remain outside.
6- Secure the sprout with the chosen substrate, which will serve not only to give the plant stability but also to better absorb the nutritive solution.
7- Place the hydroponic plant in a suitable indoor or outdoor area, where it receives enough natural light but no direct sun for many hours.
8- Place the aeration tank to oxygenate the water, make sure it is activated at least every 3 hours for a few minutes.
9- Add the nutritive solution to the water and the substrate. Try to follow a calendar according to the needs of the species you are growing; in the specialized store, they will be able to guide you in this aspect.
We hope you find this information useful about ” how to build a hydroponic garden”.
- This hydroponic outdoor grow system is designed for fast, maximum-convenience vegetable gardening. Perfect for beginners! No experience needed.More nutritious and better-tasting than soil-gardened produce because oxygenated water and nutrients are delivered directly to the roots.
- Soilless cultivation with nutrient film can meet the production potential of crops; Compared with traditional soil cultivation, the yield can be doubled with requiring less water and less space.
- Adopted food-grade PVC-U pipes,each pvc pipe diameter is 2.48”/63mm,hole size is 1.2”*1.2”/30mm*30mm with ample space for vegetables,flowers and plants.Suitable for lettuce,spinach,pakchoi,cabbage,radishes,strawberry,herbs,rape,beets,garlic seedlings,canola,celery,etc.