Pallets allow you to create an urban garden in any space in an orderly manner. Learn all about how to make a pallet planter in this article.
A pallet can be easily obtained anywhere. This is a highly recommended option for communities and large plots of land.
If you can’t get one, you can buy it in gardening stores, (pallets have become fashionable and it is easy to get one). This option allows you to build an urban garden saving money and being able to grow several plants in one place.
Urban gardens with pallets can be placed in a small garden or a terrace where there is sunlight. It is ideal for growing green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, or spinach as these crops do not require much space and also allow to place them in an orderly manner.
Table of Contents
Advantages Of Making a Pallet Planter
Making a pallet planter is a good option to start an inexpensive urban garden. There are several reasons to plant urban gardens with pallets, either privately or for the benefit of a community.
- It is an economical solution since it can be done at home.
- It allows to growth of several types of vegetables in a single space in an organized way.
- It can be placed in any space of a house such as a garden or on the terrace of an apartment.
- It is very easy to make with simple tools that can be found at home.
- It is an ecological option. It does not require the use of chemical fertilizers.
Pallets are ideal for growing aromatic herbs that you can use later in the kitchen. The only disadvantage we see is that they are shallow and many species require a lot of depth for their cultivation. You can always solve this problem with a cultivation table for vegetable gardens.
Another great advantage of pallets is that they are very decorative. With a single pallet, you will have a mini vertical garden on your terrace that will be very nice.
How To Make An Urban Vegetable Garden with Pallets Step by Step
Although urban vegetable gardens with pallets made in the comfort of your home may seem complicated, it is possible with willingness and commitment to enjoy your harvest of the vegetable that you like the most. To have your vegetable garden at home you must follow the following steps to the letter:
Materials and tools needed to make a pallet planter.
- Mallet to disassemble the pallets (Order here).
- Drill (Order here).
- Varnish, to give a good finish. (With this varnish you will protect the wood well).
- Green plastic mesh for agricultural use
- Adhesive paper, cutter, and markers for the signs.
How To Make a Pallet Planter Step by Step
Follow these steps to make a pallet planter. Start by sanding and varnishing the planks. Let the varnish dry and assemble the orchard walls by nailing the planks together.
- You should get 2 identical planks for the sides of the garden, 2 identical ones for the front and the back, 2 more for the floor and the compartments of the garden; leave the wider planks to make the legs and 8 rectangles to create the top of the floor and the compartments.
- Nail the legs with the screws to the sides of the garden.
- Screw the 8 rectangles to the legs to form the top of the floor and the compartments.
- Line the inside of the drawer with the green plastic mesh.
- If desired, design an eye-catching label on the computer and print it on adhesive paper. Cut it out with the cutter and glue it to the vegetable garden drawer. Finally, paint it with spray paint.
Now all that’s left is to get the seeds and tools to start growing the vegetables you want. It is a job that requires time and effort, but the results will be worth it when you see your first seedlings grow.
Tips To Take Care of Your Pallet Planter
Growing your vegetable garden at home is an easy task, it just requires dedication and perseverance, like everything in life! It is not that we have to be all day looking at the plants, but some basic tasks to ensure a good harvest, such as the following:
Vegetables, legumes, and fruits need regular water to grow. The soil must be always moist. Watering your garden once a week will be enough, although, in the hotter months such as summer, you may need to give them a little more water.
Fertilizing The Crop
Nutrients are very important for vegetables, especially if you want them to be of high quality and have an intense flavor. We recommend that you use organic fertilizers.
Protection From the Weather
Air, cold, and rain can damage your harvest. Protect your garden with plastic, newspaper, or cardboard (without touching the plants).
Plants tend to attract all kinds of insects, some of which are harmful to your vegetables. Therefore, you must have good pest control, using natural insecticides.
Watch For Possible Diseases
Locating diseases is a more complicated task, some can be recognized by the deformation of the leaves, the appearance of mold, or the presence of spots. There are natural remedies in the herbalist’s shop. But to avoid this, provide your plants with good nutrients.
We hope that this article on how to make a pallet planter is very useful. We recommend our article about fast-growing vegetables for impatient gardeners.