If you have an orchid and you like them, you will know that there are a lot of types of orchid pots, including different materials, such as clay pots, glass or crystal pots, wood or coconut among others, and different opacities, from transparent pots to totally opaque pots. The variety is impressive. That is why many times we do not know what is or what characteristics should have the best pots for our orchids. Learn all about the best pots for orchids.
If you have come to this article for that reason, do not worry, because we will explain what are the most important factors to consider when choosing pots for orchids and where to buy a pot for your orchid, and we will help you find the best one for you.
What Are the Best Pots for Orchids?
The answer is easy. It depends on the type of orchid or orchid species you have since each orchid has different characteristics and needs.
A great part of orchids are epiphytes, which means that they are orchids that grow on trees, with their roots aerated to receive the humidity they need. In addition to epiphytes, there are also terrestrial orchids (they grow in the ground), lithophytes or semi-terrestrials (they grow and develop on rocks) and finally climbers (they originate in the ground and move up the tree).
But if you have no way of finding out what type of species of orchid is yours, we are going to give you a tip: remember what kind of pot your orchid was in when you bought it. And when you have to transplant the orchid, you will have to do it in a pot with the same characteristics.
Characteristics Of a Good Pot for Orchids
The pot is a determining factor for the life of our orchids, so regardless of the material the pot is made of, it must have certain parameters that are extremely important for our flower to live.
These are some characteristics that orchid pots need to have so that we can have a healthy orchid:
- The pot must have a fairly high communication with the external environment so that the roots are aerated. It is for this reason that some of the pots have holes, although it is not necessary that it has “little holes”. Simply use a material that allows aeration of the plant, such as a porous material like terracotta or clay pots.
- It must be open to regulate the temperature inside the substrate.
- They have to maintain a certain amount of humidity, or failing that, they must provide enough visibility to calculate the water level. This is why it is recommended to use a transparent pot for our orchid.
- It must have enough weight to be stable and not allow sudden movements. For this reason, a plastic pot is not recommended, since many times they have very little weight and this is not adequate.
With these very specific needs, there is a wide variety of special pots for orchids on the market. As we have just mentioned, these can be of different types, each with its advantages and disadvantages:
Clay Pots for Orchids
Clay pots are a favorite of some types of orchids. For example, Cattleya orchids prefer such a clay pot.
One of its great advantages is that they have high porosity, and thus allows constant air exchange. In addition, it is a sufficiently heavy material and dries considerably faster than others.
However, they have some disadvantages. They are solid and can be affected by bacteria, algae or mosses, without realizing it. It will also be more difficult to control the water level inside or to open new holes in the pot.
Therefore, we recommend choosing a pot with holes, so that it is easier to control both the water level and possible pests that may arise.
The Best Clay Pots for Orchids
After an extensive search on the internet, we have found some clay pots for orchids that meet all the necessary characteristics. So, if you need to buy a clay pot for orchids, here we leave you the link so you can do it:
- Homart Rustic Terra Cotta Orchid Pot, Antique Red, 1-Count
- Matches HomArt Rustic Terra Cotta Saucer, Antique Red - item# B00AO0G7XA
- Each piece varies due to the old world pottery process
- LEAF & GREEN: A wonderful piece from the tag Leaf & Greene collection. Makes a perfect gift or collect them all for yourself.
- CRAFTED WITH EXCELLENCE: This terracotta orchid pot has a rustic finish. The holes are specially designed for orchids and plants in the orchidaceous family. Liven up any room in the house or patio with a tag planter.
- QUALITY MATERIALS: Product made of terracotta for durability and easy care. Terra Cotta clay material is porous and allows roots to breathe. It also helps balance pH levels for healthier plants.
Transparent Plastic Pots for Orchids
The great advantage of transparent orchid pots is that they provide a good view of the substrate and humidity. In this way, it is much easier to control the watering of the orchid. Another advantage we should mention is that the plastic can be easily pierced, thus giving our orchid the ventilation, it needs without problems.
However, the problem would be the lightweight of the pot, as it can be dangerous in case it moves or falls over. For this reason, most of the time, plastic pots are placed inside other decorative pots, so that we can take out the pot inside to control the humidity and the outside pot gives it the necessary stability, besides the aesthetic touch. This outer pot, being only aesthetic, can be any pot for plants.
- ULTRA BREATHABLE – Ideal Aeration Ensures Long and Active Flowering of Orchids
- IDEAL DRAINAGE - Always the Right Level of Substrate Moisture
- VISUAL CONTROL - Transparent Plastic Pot Provides Perfect Control Over the Condition of the Roots
Glass Pots for Orchids
Glass pots for orchids are ideal, so if you want is to buy transparent pots for orchids, our recommendation is that you get a glass one. Here’s why:
The answer is simple. As we have said before, transparent pots allow you to see inside, so it is easier to keep track of the humidity and the state of the orchid’s roots. In the same way as plastic pots.
But in addition, glass is a heavier material, so it gives the necessary stability to the pot, making it does not need any more pots for decorative purposes.
The Best Glass Pots for Orchids
Glass pots combine the best features of clay pots and plastic pots, making them perfect for orchid care. These are some of the bests on the market:
- ORCHID POT – Self-watering system of nylon wicks, and a separate water reservoir. Glass pot allows for light to absorb through roots of plant. Separate water reservoir ensures roots do not rot from contact. Frosted glass allows you to see water level in reservoir and refill as needed.
- EVA SOLO – We create home accessories and kitchenware characterised by aesthetic appeal, functionality and high quality. The products are born of user needs – and are a pleasure to behold, use and own. Today, the Eva Solo product range is divided into several categories which are marketed worldwide.
- FAMILY-OWNED COMPANY FOR 4 GENERATIONS – Eva Solo A/S was established over 100 years ago. Today, the company is managed and owned by Jan Engelbrecht, who represents the fourth generation of the founder’s family. Jan’s mother is called Eva, and her father, i.e. Jan’s grandfather, is one of the company’s three former CEOs. It was Eva’s name that inspired the company’s name.
Hanging Baskets for Orchids
These aerial pots are very common for some orchid species that require special pots, such as Vanda orchids.
Normally they are usually coconut pots for orchids or wooden pots, which allow the roots to stay in the air, and not inside the pot. This way you can see the evolution of the roots perfectly since they will be hanging. In fact, you can also hang orchids without any need for pots.
The Best Hanging Baskets for Orchids
One of the only baskets that we have found, and that meets our characteristics, is the following one:
- 🌷Package Includes: you will receive 2 pieces of 12 inch natural coconut hanging planters, which are simple looking and quite sturdy planters, and can replace plastic and clay planters.
- 🍀Size: Each cocoa lining is 12 inches in diameter and 5 inches in depth. This is a very popular size choice among growers. These coconut linings already have their own circular shape and can be placed in your hanging basket as long as you choose the right size.
- 🌷Natural Coloring:Strong Steel rod construction with Tough black sleek powder Coating for Rustproof, pre-formed coco liner conveniently secured to the hanging basket. These plant basket mats are made of natural coconut fiber. The coconut fiber lining can keep the soil moist and promote plant growth by saving water and making the roots easy to take water. 100% natural coco fiber liner is safe for vegetables and flowers, requires less watering as thick hanging basket liner better retains moisture.
We hope this article about the best pots for orchids will be useful. We recommend these articles about orchids.
How to Prune Orchids Step y Step.