The lemon tree is one of the most cultivated fruit trees in the temperate and warm regions of the world. The lemon tree is an evergreen tree that reaches a height of 16-19 ft (5-6 meters). Learn more about How to grow lemon tree in this guide.
It is sensitive to cold, if in winter the temperature is below 26.6 °F (-3 °C) this tree should be protected with plastic. Soil with a lot of sodium is not suitable for this tree. Lemon trees can live for about 50 years. It is planted during the winter when the tree is at rest.
How to Grow and Care Lemon Tree
Steps for Plant and Care Lemon Tree
Choose a sunny location (no less than 5 hours a day) with well-draining soil. It prefers rich soil organic matter and neutral pH.
Plant in winter and protect it if it’s too cold. During the summer months, it should be watered every day, while in winter you only water it on days that it does not rain.
Fertilize three times a year, in spring, summer and fall. Need nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and magnesium, and iron.
Finally, we must prune it at the end of winter. Pruning is essential to keeping the tree healthy.
How to Prevent and Treat Pests and Diseases
To prevent pests and diseases of citrus fruits like the lemon tree, you must have in the gutter the basic care for the cultivation and maintenance of the lemon tree, ensure that its condition is optimal in the day to day, surround it with other plants with which you get protection, such as lavender or marigold.
Be aware of possible symptoms of health problems in the tree. For example, if your lemon tree shows yellow leaves with green nerves, it means that it needs a greater contribution of iron, so you will have to look for some rich fertilizer in it. If you don’t manage it, then the problem is that you are watering it too much.
Finally, follow these tips to treat the most common pests and diseases of the lemon tree:
1) Against citrus leafminers, red spiders, and aphids, the easiest way is to spray Neem oil on the affected areas, which will eventually eliminate the pest.
2) In the case of the cotton mealybug you can prepare your own insecticide by mixing one part water with one part burning alcohol in a common 1.5 liter bottle and adding a teaspoon of dishwashing soap. Spray the mixture on the affected areas of the lemon tree and it will not take long to finish it off.
3) The case of the fungus Penicillium is easy to treat with fungicides containing copper.
4) Psoriasis can be alleviated by scraping the diseased areas when spring comes to an end and covering the affected area with Zineb.
- Your Meyer Lemon Tree comes with a gift card certificate that assures you that your lemon tree comes from Hirt's Gardens.
- We cannot ship citrus to; Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, Texas, Virgin Islands as per USDA Regulations.
- Sweetest of all lemons. Perfect for patios or indoors. Loves the sun.
Learn more about the lemon tree in pot