Watering plants while on vacation can be a big problem. Plant watering systems are an extraordinarily satisfying way to sustain a lush, green container garden while you are away for a few days. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on expensive watering systems or plant nannies that you see on TV commercials. Nor will you need to ask a neighbor or friend to come over and water your plants while you are on vacation.
Recycled plastic and wine bottles are easily transformed into automatic watering systems that release water when plants need it. They are environmentally and budget-friendly. In addition, they are in no way inferior to off-the-shelf watering systems. Self-built plant waterers are even superior because they hold more water than the ones you can find in shopping malls.
Table of Contents
How To Water Plants on Vacation
We have to make inventions to water our plants during the vacations. The most common and effective is to use a container filled with water and place it upside down in the pot. The water passes through small openings that prevent it from simply spilling out. When the soil dries out, it takes the correct amount of water from the container. This is essentially how this vacation watering system works. It’s a light, easy and effective way to keep plants from wilting.
These vacation watering inventions are very useful. Here I am going to explain two simple ways to make your own plant waterers with materials from your container. You can use empty plastic water bottles and glass wine bottles. Make sure they will water your dry pots while you are on the road.
These systems can also be used to water your terrace while you are traveling or on vacation. Or any other room where you have pots, planters, or plants.
Watering Plants on Vacation – Plastic Bottle Irrigation System
Plastic bottles are versatile and simple to modify. You should use different techniques and choose which one suits you best. Now I am going to tell you two configurations to make your own recycled watering systems from plastic bottles. Use any old bottle, regardless of its size.
For this first and simple initiative, you will need empty plastic bottles with their caps, a candle, and an awl or a nail. Light the candle and burn the awl in the flame. This way, you will pierce the plastic bottle a lot more easily. Make several small holes near the neck of the bottle, fill it with water and screw the cap on tightly. When you are done with these steps, simply turn the plastic bottle upside down and glue it to the floor until it covers the holes.
This initiative is quite similar to the previous one. The difference lies in removing the cap. The opening of the bottle should be covered with gauze and attached to its neck with an elastic band. By placing a gauze, you will prevent soil from entering the inside of the bottle. Fill the bottle with water and stick the neck into the soil.
Watering Plants on Vacation – Glass Bottle
Instead of ridding yourself of old glass wine bottles, how about transforming them into fancy plant watering cans? They look really nice in more substantial planters and all it requires you to carry out is to carry out holes in the threaded caps. Use a hammer and punch to drill small holes in the cap. Fill the bottle with water to the bottom and place it in the pan in the manner in which plastic bottles are placed. It is advisable to fix the bottle between two stakes to ensure that the home watering system does not fall over. This could happen with wine bottles because they are much heavier than plastic bottles.
You can replace the screw caps with duct tape. The procedure is the same: in the center of the strip of duct tape, you build small holes. If you want to be clever, you can use spray paint or mosaic tiles to decorate the bottle. Whichever option you choose, your handmade glass watering system will become a beautiful, simple and serviceable watering gadget.
Use larger plastic or wine bottles if you plan to be away from home for more than a few days. Always water before adding the bottle and test the home watering system the day before you leave. Make sure there are no leaks or bubbles at the top. If you notice such warnings, possibly the mouth of the bottle has not sealed against the soil. Take the bottle out of the soil, fill it again with water and insert it into the moist soil. Fix the bottle near the rim and it will then rest in the pot. These simple ideas are indeed effective and will keep your garden beautiful with happy plants while you are away.
Water Plants While Vacation
This is another very effective and easy to do the method. If you are going on vacation, the buried bottle is a good home watering system. The first thing to do is to make the hole where you are going to bury the bottle. Then, you take a plastic bottle and make holes in all parts of the bottle. Then, you have to fill it with water and cover it with a cap. Next, you bury the bottle in the hole that you had previously made, and you cover it well with earth so that only the stopper shows. With this, you will get an effective home irrigation system buried, and your plants will have water while you are on vacation. Tranquility assured.
Is Drip Irrigation with a Bottle a Good Method?
I can tell you that for me it is the best home method to water while you are on vacation. The drip irrigation method is ideal to take the worry out of it while you go on a family trip. This way, you won’t have to worry about your plants not having enough water, nor will you have to ask anyone to water them while you are on vacation.
Watering Potted Plants While on Vacation
If you don’t have the time to put together one of these homemade watering systems for when you are on vacation, we recommend these products that come ready to use and give very good results.
- 🌿Automatic Drip Irrigation Kit: This kit is a system of water pumps, timers, tubes, and drippers that deliver the proper amount of water to each plant, which helps you avoid both under- and overwatering. It is a compact design for your home potted plant irrigation. vacations, busy schedules, and changing weather conditions can all leave flowers, veggies, and shrubs thirsty. Now Free your hands to water your plants with no worries.
- 🌻Easy to DIY: In 10 minutes you can install a drip irrigation system for your home potted or hanging plants. The kit offers all accessories you need - 33 ft tubes, 10 watering stakes, multiple T joints, and Cross joints, all of them can let you easy to DIY your own home watering irrigation kit.
- 🌷Scientific Water-Saving Design: Using watering stakes can save at least 70% more water than using traditional spray & drip heads. You can spot the water only exactly where the roots needed, avoiding water evaporate over time and even making your drip system great for saving water in drought conditions. Generally, 1-gallon water can last for at least 3 weeks for 10 pot houseplants.
- 【Remote Control App】With RainPoint APP, you can remotely manage multi-watering plans, notifications will be sent to APP when "Automatic" watering plans are active or pump is out of water. it's perfect to take care of your potted plants when busy with chores or away on vacation.
- 【Notice Before Purchase】Only connect with 2.4GHz WiFi, for dual-band router, please independently enable the 2.4GHz WiFi band and name it differently from the 5GHz WiFi band. Before pairing WiFi, make sure the USB cable is powered on.
- 【Worry-free Watering】With “Automatic” function, customize your irrigation plans with local weather, temps, humidity, sunrise/sunset or weeks. Settable timed mode, which watering duration is from 6s to 30mins and watering frequency is from 1hr to 24hrs or from 1 day to 7 days.
Either of these two products will work for watering potted plants.
We hope you found this article about watering plants during vacation useful. We recommend our article about how to measure soil pH.